Monday, January 12, 2015

BACK FROM WINTER BREAK: MY MASTERPIECE

All this time, I imagined myself glued to my computer doing research for my masterpiece and giving a boring presentation in front of the classroom while what I really wanted to do was not even remotely close to that. My topic, as of now, is to connect the two most important aspects of my life that define who I am - writing and music. Both of these complete me in ways that's completely unexplainable through words. I'm someone who's not so willing to describe myself and my emotions to anyone and open myself up and so to express my emotions, I take the median of music and writing, hence this topic for my masterpiece. By combining these two, I'm not only enriching learning experience for my classmates, but also remixing the two most powerful median in media now and producing an output that every individual can relate to with different interpretations with their various experiences. This topic requires the very most important fields, connecting them directly and/or indirectly. For example, it takes calculation and planning to write a song; it takes skill and knowledge about rhythm and music to remix another work with our own writing; it takes some relation with psychology to write about a theme that all individuals must've experienced sometime during their lifetime; and finally, it takes writing skill to pour emotions on paper. I have written many poems but I haven't written as many songs to get the experience of it and write it with easiness. So as of now, the only plan I have is to communicate with Jisu and collaborate about our possible melody and lyrics and how we want the audience to feel when we do present. Along with the song, I want to have a one-on-one with our audience and get their perspective, opinions, questions, and comments about our song and its process. Personally, I think the only resource we both need is our thinking ability! But if we do have an option of meeting somebody, I would like to get an experience to meet someone who has had an experience with all three: music, writing, and presentation. I would like some background as to how to present ourselves in terms of body language, range of voice, and attitude. I think, for me, it would be extremely cool to make a kind of music video where there's only one or two individuals singing but the facial expressions or physical actions of many other individuals incorporating the lyrics with their own interpretation of it as the actual video. Also, first, I would like to show the video mute, then just the audio, and then both of them together and then ask the audience which one they could connect with the most and why. I will be collaborating with both Jisu and Dr. Preston (maybe even the class) and see what, how, and if I will be able to achieve this goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment